Our BEST Inflatable Kayaks Reviews & Guide
Inflatable kayaks are great for summer time when you know the whitewater waves are going to be at their finest. Inflatable kayaks are also great for going out on lakes and other bodies of calm water.
The amount of fun and beneficial exercise you can get with an inflatable kayak makes them more than worth their asking price, especially in terms of the improvement in physical health you’ll feel from paddling in the water.
When it comes to shopping for the very best inflatable kayak, you’ll need to know the features that make exceptional inflatable kayaks truly worth purchasing. Not all of them are really worth it, and you’ll find that by finding kayaks with some of the following features we’re going to list, you’ll end up with an inflatable kayak that’s built to last and one that will provide years of summer fun and exercise.
In this lens, we’re going to be listing three inflatable kayaks that are genuinely worth the money. We did the research on Amazon for you and these really are the best products that Amazon has available.
Inflatable Kayaks Buying Guide
So now we’re going to be listing the features to be on the lookout for. You’ll be surprised with how advanced these modern day inflatable kayaks are and how well they’re designed.
1. Aluminum Ribbing And/Or Solid Structure Panels
Aluminum ribs that line the bow and stern help to increase the durability of the inflatable kayak. Obviously, you don’t want a kayak that’s just a glorified blow up raft.
Having an aluminum internal structure helps to give you that added durability you need when going into whitewater waves and rough waters. Some inflatable kayaks will come with solid panels instead of aluminum, but don’t worry, it accomplishes the same objective.
2. Super Thick Material
The material that the kayak is made of will determine not only how long it’s going to last you, but whether or not you’ll encounter punctures from the various rocks and debris you’ll encounter in the water. It’s always best to air on the side of caution and choose one with a super thick construction material, even possibly a three ply design, to ensure you get a kayak that’s going to hold up well and last for the long haul. At least that’s what we recommend here at Kayak Logic.
3. Whitewater Rating
Being able to put your inflatable kayak to the test and see how it performs wouldn’t be appropriate without it having a whitewater rating. A class III rating is very respectable, and knowing that your inflatable kayak was designed to go through this kind of rough water means extra peace of mind for you.
4. Light Weight And Heavy Load Capacity
A quality inflatable kayak should be light weight and be able to handle a heavy load capacity. Around 250-500 lbs is an adequate load capacity, and as far as the design weight is concerned, look for around 15-40 lbs of total weight.
You’ll be surprised by how well constructed a quality inflatable kayak is when you feel how stable they are in the water. They won’t sink under normal conditions and are just like using a regular wooden one in terms of functionality.
5. Warranty, Amazon Review Score, And Manufacturer
Getting a long lasting warranty with your inflatable kayak ensures that you get a replacement or refund if anything is defective. Also, checking the Amazon reviews will serve to inform you about the positive and negative aspects of the kayaks, and also tell you which products are the best buys in the marketplace.
Lastly, ensure that you’re buying from a reputable company that will stand behind their warranty and give you a product that’s actually worth the asking price.
Sea Eagle 330 Inflatable Kayak Review
Sea Eagle seems to be making high quality products these days. Their 330 Inflatable Kayak with Deluxe Package seats two people comfortably, and with a load capacity of 500 lbs, you can be sure that you’ll actually get to enjoy paddling out on the water with a partner and not have to go it alone.
It features a light construction weight of only 26 lbs, and the polykrylar hub material nearly guarantees that you’ll never encounter punctures or premature decomposition of the kayak. The I beam construction, welded seams, and nine inch tubing put this raft in the extremely durable category, and it’s even rated for class III whitewater.
With the included foot pump, you can inflate this raft anywhere you choose, and both the spray skirts and the seats are fully inflatable. It also comes with two oars and a carrying bag to make travel and storage easy to accomplish.
As far as the Amazon reviews are concerned, it scored a respectable 4 out of 5 stars across 106 reviews. That means a ton of people rated this product at a full five stars, which shouldn’t go unnoticed.
- 26 Lbs Total Weight
- 500 Lb Weight Capacity
- Polykrylar Hub Material
- Welded Seams
- Nine Inch Tubing
- I-Beam Construction
- Two Oars
- Carrying Bag
- 3 Year Warranty
- Reports of this kayak still being used since it was bought in the year 2000! Talk about being built to last!
- This kayak is even able to handle going out on the ocean without collapsing
- If you’ve never used an inflatable kayak for fishing expeditions, you’re missing out on a lot of fun!
- Does well in class I-III whitewater
- Paddling with another person, using synchronicity you can have a lot of fun!
- You can even use this inflatable kayak to take your dog for a ride – Their claws won’t penetrate the polykrylar material
- After over 100 uses, it only required two major repairs – A great deal to be had with this kayak!
Doesn’t have the one-way Boston inflation valves
Feels pretty cramped with two full sized people
Advanced Elements FireFly Inflatable Kayak Review
The FireFly by Advanced Elements is one inflatable kayak that you won’t soon forget. It features built in structure panels that improve the solidity of the kayak and improve how it tracks in the water.
The included outer cover further adds to the durability and keeps it lightweight. The Twistlok valves and high flow spring valves allow you to inflate the kayak quickly and get it setup without having to spend hours doing it.
It comes complete with a landing fin and tracking plate to improve the overall performance. The total length of this kayak is 7′ 10″ with a 35″ total width. The weight is a mere 16 lbs, which makes traveling with it so easy! It can hold a maximum of one person at a 250 lb weight capacity, and comes with welded perimeter seams to keep it all together.
The Amazon review score on Advanced Elements items are almost always good, and this kayak is no exception. Across 12 customer reviews, it got a full five stars!
Let’s take a closer look at the features:
- Rigid Construction Design With Internal Structure Panels
- 16 Lb Total Weight
- One Person – 250 Lb Weight Capacity
- Welded Perimeter Seams
- Molded Rubber Grip Handles
- Twistlok Valves
- High Flow Spring Valve
- Carrying Duffel Bag
- Repair Kit
- Owners Manual
- A safe, high quality inflatable for recreational use
- Totally portable and will easily fit in the trunk of your car or in the storage compartment of a plane
- Takes only a few minutes to inflate it, after that you’re ready for the water!
- Will go over rocks and other obstacles with no problem at all
- Comfortable to fit inside of and glides through the water with ease
- Pretty good tracking performance for being an inflatable
Not as good of tracking performance as hard shell kayaks
People who want a more professional kayak will have to spend the extra cash to get one
Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Inflatable Kayak Review
Advanced Elements continues to amaze and impress us with the overall performance of their kayak offerings. The AdvancedFrame Inflatable Kayak has built in aluminum ribbing inside the bow and the stern that makes the kayak more rugged and improves the tracking when in the water.
The three layers of thick material prevents punctures from occurring when going over difficult obstacles like jagged stone. It’s incredibly easy to assemble right out of the box! Just unpack it, inflate the kayak and the seat, and you’re ready to go. The seat is also padded, which provides an additional feeling of comfort.
You’ll find the performance is comparable to a hard shelled kayak with how it maneuvers through the water.
As far as the Amazon score is concerned, 4.5 out of 5 stars across 51 reviews is very impressive, and you’ll be hard pressed to find an inflatable kayak that’s made this well without having to pay a lot more.
- Aluminum Stern And Bow Ribbing
- Triple Layer Double Coated Ripstop Material
- Adjustable Padded Seat
- Onboard Storage
- Advanced Inflation Valves
- Molded Rubber Handles
- Skeg Tracking Fin
- Amazingly similar performance to a hard shelled kayak
- Highly portable, which makes frequent travel and setup easy
- This is the next best thing for people that don’t have the budget for the higher priced alternatives
- Makes a great first kayak for people who are new to kayaking
- When kayak rental isn’t an option, this model makes the perfect replacement
- Fishing, photography,and whitewater rafting are possible with this kayak
- The included repair kit makes repairing any small punctures easy
- Includes storage space that’s appropriate for water bottles, dry sacks, and the like
- Even though it’s a relatively low price alternative to hard shell kayaks, it’s still a bit expensive for some people’s budgets
- Water can quickly soak the seat of your pants if it gets into the kayak
So as you can see, choosing the best kyack isn’t all that difficult. Just make sure how many pounds yours is rated for, and the construction materials and build and you’re good.
Let us know what you think is the best inflatable kayak in the comments below. We’d love to hear from you!